Blood Ran Cold (A Kindle Single) - Sten Ostberg

This is one of the most chilling & atmospheric short stories you'll ever come across.

A brutal snowstorm is challenge enough for retired police officer Karl Vollam as he tries to get his very pregnant wife Marte to hospital. Then the unthinkable happens. A man bearing a bloody hatchet appears before they can leave their isolated cabin.

What follows is the frightening story of a man desperate to protect his wife from an escaped murderer. The howling storm, isolation, terror & impending birth create a palpable tension as the author wastes no time yanking you into the Vollams' nightmare.

There's a sense of urgency due to Marte's condition & as her labour escalates, we learn why the stranger has chosen to invade their lives.

Weighing in at just 82 pages, it's a remarkably effective & well written tale. I couldn't read fast enough even as I dreaded what I would find at the end.

Apparently there is a full length novel in the works & now that my heart rate has returned to normal, I'll be adding it to my TBR list.