Deer Life - Ron Sexsmith

Leaves in the whirlwind, scarecrow’s clappin’
All good children ought to be nappin’.
The cows in the tree, the bird’s on the ground
For your dream’s just a nightmare upside down.

This is a fun & light hearted fairy tale written by singer/songwriter Ron Sexsmith. The story is set in the town of Hinthoven, a bustling little village full of eccentric characters. Let’s see…we’ve got barkeep Crad Grimsby, local bully Jacques Tortière, bouncers Griff & Gruff & young Deryn Hedlight, the hero of our tale.

While out hunting one day Deryn has the great misfortune to run into Eleanoir, as wicked a witch as there ever was. (How do we know she’s a witch? C’mon people, she’s got purple eyes! Everyone knows the worst witches have purple eyes…sheesh.)

Poor Deryn. HIs life takes an extreme 180 & the story that follows is full of peril (PERIL!!), heartache, magic & the enduring power of love. The cover is gorgeous & sprinkled through the pages are little hand drawn sketches of the characters. Despite this being billed as an adult fairy tale, I think it’s better suited for kids. The chatty narrator speaks directly to the reader as they deliver a mystical & humorous coming-of-age story that is clean & full of good messages about the importance of friendship, whether it comes into your life on two legs or four.

So if you go out to the woods today, beware of those with a viole(n)t gaze. And bowler hats…..definitely avoid bowler hats.