Holy Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 1) - LJ Ross

The one New Year's resolution I made was to seriously tackle my TBR pile, especially my groaning kindle. The plan is to post mini reviews for older books that already have a ton of feedback on sites such as Goodreads, unless it really catches my fancy & I feel the need to gush.

Sadly, no gushing will be occurring here. The good: beautiful, mystical & atmospheric setting of Holy Island. It's the kind of place you want to immediately add to your travel bucket list. I enjoyed some of the peripheral characters & the main plot is suitably creepy with an excellent little twist at the end.

The bad: I'm kind of a crime/police procedural kind of gal & I'd categorize this as more romantic suspense. Which is too bad because the insta-love between the 2 MC's is completely unnecessary to the plot. For me, their relationship would have been much more interesting as just colleagues bouncing ideas off each other on their way to nabbing the icky bad guy. I desperately wanted to know who was behind it all but felt like I needed a machete to cut through all the smouldering glances & lingering looks that kept getting in the way.

Still, I'm glad I read it. It's the first of a series & I now know it's just not for me. And my kindle just got a little lighter.