Deck the Hounds - David Rosenfelt

Seeing the cover of David Rosenfelt’s Christmas book is my annual warning the big day is within squinting distance (yikes!). Okay, okay…I can hear your howls of “too soon!”. Simmer down, you’ve got lots of time. Unless your last name is Carpenter & you live in Patterson, NJ.

Lapsed attorney Andy has wisely given up asking his family why it’s necessary to celebrate from November to February. Besides, they wouldn’t hear him over the continuous loop of Xmas carols. The best he can hope for is to avoid the perilous trimming of the tree while watching a kajillion football games uninterrupted. But this year he will face an even greater threat……he might actually have to go to work.

You know what they say about good deeds. It all begins when Andy gives money to a homeless man & his dog. In short order, the man (Don Carrigan) & the dog (Zoey) are living above his garage. Until Don is arrested for the murder of a wealthy businessman 9 months ago.

No problem. Andy assures Laurie he’ll get Don the best public defender in the biz & Zoey can shack up at the dog shelter with Willie. But it seems Laurie has taken a shine to Don. In fact, if Andy doesn’t take the case she might be so upset that the ONLY activity in their bedroom for the foreseeable future will be sleeping. Game. Set. Match.

Andy signs on. And it turns out Don has led an interesting life. In alternate chapters we’re kept up on seemingly unconnected current events. A former mob enforcer has an unhealthy obsession with Don & for good reason. A popular local attorney is taken out by a sniper & he won’t be the last. And Zoey has some news of her own.

Roesenfelt excels at story telling & each of these plot lines keeps you turning the pages to find out how they will inevitably weave together. As Andy reassembles his legal team, we get to spend time with characters fans have grown to love. Some show up with bells on (Sam), some drag their high heels (Edna) and some are unintelligible (Marcus). It’s the smart & humorous interplay between them added to a twisty & complex mystery that sets this series apart. The result is a story that puts your brain through its paces between the laughs. It doesn’t seem possible this is book #18 but as long as Mr. Rosenfelt keeps writing, I’ll keep reading.