Among the Shadows - Bruce Robert Coffin

Another mini-review as I attempt to help my kindle lose weight in time for bikini season....

Well, well, well....a hidden gem that was lurking in the depths. Being such a fan of police procedurals, I'm embarrassed to admit this is the first time I've read this author. Clearly need to crawl out from under my rock more often because this guy knows how to tell a story.

Set in Portland, Maine, we follow Detective John Byron as & his team as they face their worst nightmare...the murder of a cop. The investigation is soon compounded by further deaths that seem to link to an infamous bank robbery that took place 30 years ago. Oddly, no one involved seems particularly keen to talk. For John, the case becomes personal when he discovers ties to his long deceased father.

In a nutshell it's a smart, pacy read with well placed twists that will have you questioning what you thought you knew. The cast is colourful & diverse with strong characterizations that ensure you become invested in their fates.

My only complaint is that I had to have book #2 & picked it up right after I finished *sigh* My kindle may have to settle for wearing a one-piece.