Turning Secrets - Brenda Chapman

Favourite thing # 9: when you’re wrapped up in a book you can’t put down but you’re afraid to read the next page. Love that. And it pretty much sums up how I spent the last quarter of the latest instalment in the Stonechild & Rouleau series.

It all begins with the death of Nadia Armstrong. When her body is found at a construction site, it appears to be suicide. But Kala Stonechild from the KIngston PD has one of those niggly feelings she’s learned to trust. She & colleague Paul Gundersund begin to dig into the young woman’s life, unaware they’re lifting the lid off a huge can of worms *.

( * my apologies to worms everywhere….you’re lovely little things compared to some of the bottom feeders in this story)

It seems Nadia had a few secrets. And she’s not alone. Kala’s niece Dawn has struck up a relationship with Fisher, her long absent father.  She knows how her aunt feels about the ex-con so she keeps it to herself, unaware that Fisher has secrets too.

But the gold medal for keeping shtum has to go to Vanessa, one of Dawn’s school mates. Her private life is truly the stuff of nightmares & unfortunately, it’s only a matter of time before Dawn will be dragged into the whole mess.

Add in some internal strife at the police station & you’ve got a great, twisty read full of intrigue & suspense. Faithful fans in particular are in for a few surprises as there are some shifts in relationships among the returning cast. These characters have been so well developed over the course of the series that they’ve become “real” people. So it was no surprise I still cheered on my favourites while booing those I’ve come to loathe (side-eyes Fiona). But I was caught off guard by events surrounding 2 of the regular characters. Seems I may have to rethink one & say good-bye to another.

Some crimes have motives as old as time & shine a light on societal views & biases. Others are more topical, fueled by current issues surrounding social media. It can be a wonderful tool but sadly it can also be used to manipulate the vulnerable & one of the story lines feels all too real.

The author does a great job of keeping all the plot lines moving which results in a pacy read that holds your attention. Along the way there are some sly red herrings in the form of suitably creepy candidates for ”bad guy”. By the end, it’s clear there are some changes in store for Jacques, Kala & their colleagues down at that station. Can’t wait for book #7.